Taking you from ground zero to IBCLC, and anywhere in between.
Antenatal Training UK only provides the highest quality qualifications, and this is no exception. Designed for those who wish to support new and expectant families with their breastfeeding needs, our Breastfeeding Counsellor qualification only uses current evidenced based information, and is designed and written by our own IBCLC Shelley Wilson.
Following the online course you will be able to practice as a Breastfeeding Counsellor in many settings, lead breastfeeding classes or offer a private service. You will also be ready to take the IBCLC exam and become a lactacion consultatant if you wish!
Step 1: Gain Knowledge.
Work your way through our online, interactive, and active learning environment. Complete the modules at your own pace, in your own time.
Step 2: Apply Knowledge.
Live tutorials with Shelley will help you understand the content the modules and then apply it. Using scenarios, case studies and discussions you will take your knowledge to the next level!
Step 3: Practice Knowledge
Our workshops are designed to help you practice your teaching and communication skills - ideal for those wanting to run breastfeeding support groups or classes. The option to also do a mock IBCLC exam, under conditions, is also offered.
Anatomy and Physiology:
- Breast and nipple structure, development and variations
- Physiology and endocrinology ie hormones and lactogenesis
Feeding Positions and attachment:
- Twins, caesarean sections, latching techniques and issues, biological nurturing.
Newborn to 3 Months:
- Colic, reflux, allergies, and intolerances
- First hour
- First 6 Weeks
- 6 weeks to 3 months
- Weight gain
- Breast and nipple pain/trauma
- Engorgement, blocked ducts, Mastitis, Abscess, Infections.
- Treatments - both NICE and CAM
- Surgical considerations
- Milk supply
- Premature, tube feeding, re-introducing breastfeeding
- Skin to Skin / Kanagroo care
- Mental Health
- Sleeping in
Signposting and the Breastfeeding Community:
- Who is Who?
- Certifing Bodies
Expressing and Mixed Feeding:
- Hand expression
- Pumps and equipment
- Cup and syringe feeding
- Sexual abuse
- Society & psychology
- Fathers role
Ethics, Law and Codes:
- WHO, Baby Milk Action, BFI,
- Rights of Mum
- Rights or Baby
- Formular Industry and the law
- Listening and language skills
- Shadowing hours
Milk Composition and Nutrition:
- Nutritional and immunological properties of milk
- How birth can impact on milk production
Launching Friday 2nd April 2021
Discount codes: If you select the installment option, the discount is applied only to the first months payment. The following payments will resume at full price, i.e. the first installment will be £50, the following 3 installments will be £150.